Hospital beds can either be useful or worse medical equipment for patients. While it should be properly maintained and cleaned so that the patient can sleep comfortably and rest it on without any problem. One of the primary problems starts when the safety manager fails to check the healthcare facilities, especially in medical bed mattresses and beds.
Not properly cleaning the hospital bed mattress can cause problems like bedsores or pressure ulcers. Medical sheepskin beddings and mattresses should be properly cleaned and maintained for the safety of patients. Choosing the best medical bed mattress is not a problem. It would be best if you take proper consideration and safety precautions while washing or sanitizing the hospital bed mattress for patient comfort.
First, choose the right fabric for a hospital mattress:
Taking care of hospital beds mattress and bedding start with choosing the best fabric for your hospital beds. Unlike all other regular fabrics, some safety team members designed specialized healthcare facilities to ensure proper patient care. Similar to sheepskin, there are several types of bedding fabric available in the market that are made with an antimicrobial material. The best part about this material fabric is that they are easy to clean and also prevent the spread of bacteria and germs. They are cheaper and easier to maintain. They don’t require heavy cleaning chemicals.
How to clean and sanitize hospital bed mattresses quickly?
The hospital bed mattress needs to be clean properly. The way in which these safety mattresses are cleaned depends on the susceptibility of the patient and the nature of contamination. However, before cleaning them, you should consult the manufacturer’s recommendation properly to avoid any side effects.
- First of all, you have to choose some alcohol wipes rather than using chloroxide solutions. Even sometimes, the alcohol solution causes breakdown to the waterproof cover of the medicated bed mattress.
- In the absence of some contamination, spillage cleaning with natural water can remove dirt. You can also go for using neutral detergent to refresh the surface of the bed mattress.
- In case of contamination, the mattress covers should properly be cleaned first by adding some detergent with sodium hypochlorite solution. It prevents and removes all germs and precept from the bedding cover or patient bed.
Important note: While adding sharp chemicals like Haztabs or chlor clean, you have to wear aprons and disposable gloves to ensure the safety of yourself.
4. If there is a need to sanitize the bed mattress, then you can use mattress disinfectant sprays or vacuum cleaners to clean them. After cleaning it properly, you must ensure that the mattress cover is dried properly before covering it. You can use several drying tools to properly dry them.
5. Ensure that you have inspected the surface covers properly to avoid any problem. If you see any signs of damage, then it is recommended to replace the medical sheepskin bedding cover.
6. If the mattress cover is stained or you might feel soiled, then it is safe to replace the cover before making the bed. Patient safety and precaution team of researchers suggest that soiled or damaged mattresses covers should be daily reported to the ward manager. So if you find a damaged cover or bedding, then it is better to replace then as soon as possible.
Recommendations to clean hospital bed mattress:
The recommendations are based upon some guidelines for infection control in the environment. They are issued by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) for health care facilities. The main goal is to help the health care or patient safety providers, hospital staff or caregivers to ensure those hospital bed mattresses are safe to use and provide good care to the patient.
Maintain a safety inspection plan:
- Creating a cleaning inspection plan for hospital bed mattresses is a need of every organization.
- Checking the manufacturer’s guidelines for an expected stay on time on the hospital bed
- Contact the mattress makers to ensure the cleaning safeties.
Removing or replacing the bed hospital bed mattress:
- Remove the bed mattress if you see any damaged area or visible stains. According to the health care manufacturer’s instructions and facility’s procedures, safety staff should need to regularly clean and change the mattress cover once twice in a week to avoid any bacterial infection.
- Immediate replacement of unhygienic bed mattresses in hospitals reduces the risks of infections.
Inspect the cleanness of mattresses:
- Regularly check every medical bed mattress or bedding covers for any noticeable indications of harm or wear, for example, cuts, tears, breaks, pinholes, obstacles, or stains.
- Routinely expel the emergency clinic bed mattress cover and check its inside surface. When the mattress cover is expelled, review the bedding for wet spots, re-colouring, or indications of harm or wear. Check all sides and the base of the sleeping cushion.
- Always ensure that sometimes it might be hard to distinguish damaged hospital mattresses without expelling the bedding covers first. So it is appropriate to use dark shade covers so that you can clearly see what lies underneath.